Wednesday 20 October 2010

Winol review round two.....The good, The bad and The FRUSTRATING!

Right we are back once again to review this week's edition of WINOL. After the feedback I gave last week it was interesting to see if the improvements I suggested had been made and if anything new had either impressed me or where improvements could still be made. Think we will begin with looking at what I thought went well this week:

* Once again the pitch and clarity of both Claire and Tom was first class. It impresses me how professional and direct they are with connecting with the audience and I could easily see them give both The BBC Solent and ITV Meridian news presenters a run for their money (watch out Fred Dinenage).

* It was also nice to see the inclusion of the in-studio discussion between Claire and Julie. Not only did it introduce a new face into the studio, but it gave the audience an better incite into the financial cuts being made by the government. Also relating it to how it would affect students kept the discussion directed at the target audience.

*The camera work throughout the bulletin this week was a stark improvement on last week. The focus was much clearer and the chosen shots were more specific and relevant to the stories being presented.

* The report on the whole were effective and direct. In particular the piece to camera work throughout from all reporters was effective, factual and gave the audience watching the complete picture in relation to each particular story. I won't pick out a favourite this week as I may cause an bias with a certain third-year friend who will remained unnamed!

 * The interviews for the most part were very well presented. It was nice to see the caption on the screen long enough to see who was being interviewed and the focus solely held upon the interviewee.

*Again the sport delivered. We had excellent reports. The commentary finally had that uplift from Karen Parnell who gave the additional passion and emphasis, which is needed when reporting on a cup game. It was nice to see the emphasis being put on the coaches this week, as well as the players and I am pleased to say we had no spelling errors!!!

Now for what i did not enjoy about this week's bulletin and where improvements can still be made. Be warned I may go on a little bit of a rant.

* Now I know it is the main news topic of the day throughout the UK, but I felt we had a little too much emphasis on spending cuts. I understand the relevance to what is going on in the political and journalistic world at the moment, however I think there was too much emphasis on the cuts, which dominated the majority of the stories. Some of these I felt had little or no relevance to students (remember who is the targeted demographic).

* The running order of the stories this week I felt could of been questioned. The lead story on the homeless shelter spending cuts I felt had less relevance to students than most of the other stories. I felt possibly leading with the proposed spending cuts to train fares would of made more relevance as students will always be catching trains. I will say thought that the stories are of relevance to the local residents in and around Winchester, who may watch the broadcast as well.

* Some of the camera work in places was shaky and irrelevant to the story. However you can not demand perfection when you reporting on your own.

* This may cause a bit of controversy but I can not say for one I enjoyed the end piece of the bulletin. I understand the creation of a lighter feel to the bulletin, however this is a news bulletin and feel that that the winter fashion piece would of been more relevant as a piece on the WINOL website opposed to the news bulletin.

* The only other thing I could suggest is a rotation of the presenters. I am not having a gripe because the presenting from Claire and Tom is fantastic. However I feel that it is time to give more people a chance to anchor the bulletin and see what combinations work well together and you can Claire and Tom are a established duo. Hopefully we will see the introductions of new presenters over the coming weeks.

Overall this week's edition of WINOL was a improvement on last week as the criticisms I picked up on last week had all been answered. The overall product is clearly establishing a link with the student population at The University of Winchester and I am really looking forward to getting involved as soon as possible.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks louis - very useful points. I will make sure the editor is aware of this.

    ReplyDelete