Thursday 14 October 2010

WINOL The first bulletin.... My thoughts

Today we were shown the first WINOL bulletin of the year. We have been asked to comment on what we thought went well, what we liked and what we thought could be improved.

First I will start with what I thought went well:

* The opening sequence was very professional and was reminiscent of a certain Local BBC news show I watch.

* The anchors voices were very clear, concise and professional. The tone and pace of both anchor, in particular Tom was almost pitch perfect. You could place either of them on an mainstream news channel and they would be right at home.

* The report regarding university tuition fees was very well presented. The interviews were professionally conducted and the summary from the reporter was very informative.

* The sport I thought was the highlight of the broadcast. It was nice to see the emphasis on local sports teams. Also it was good to see them reporting on the university sport teams and showing coverage of the matches.

*The camera work in places was of a very high standard. The backdrop on some of the interviews was relevant to the story, which was nice to see.

Now onto where I think improvement can be made to the product:

* I felt that the running order of the stories was questionable. When you look at the demographic who will watch the broadcast it would of been more relevant to of used the tuition fees scandal as the lead story opposed to the I.D card issue.

* The camera work during the lead story I felt in places was irrelevant to the story itself. The constant use of the shot showing student bar was disappointing as I felt they could of used a variety of different shots which could of made more reference to the story.

* The captions showing the name of the interviewees I felt were not kept on the screen long enough for the viewer to know who was being interviewed.

* The piece about the Queen may not of have been relevant to the target audience. However as I am from Southampton I won't complain about its use. Good to see the city is popping up even in university news bulletins.

* The commentary in the sports report for Winchester City was very lackluster. I feel that the commentary should of been more enthusiastic and emphasised the important of the game as it went all the way to a penalty shoot-out.

* The spelling of Eastleigh and Christchurch was incorrect. Very much of an annoyance for a local such as myself.

Overall thought I feel that bulletin was very well received and only needs a few improvements, which I know will be made throughout the year. I am very much looking forward to being a part of WINOL next year!




4 comments:

  1. Love the points you make here! I totally agree to the improvements what need to be made, except the Queen -She's the most well known person in the Country!
    Nice analysis! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to get some feedback from the first years. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good, detailed feedback. It's really an excellent sign that you're aware of audiences and demographics already - these are key issues which even professional journalists sometimes forget.

    This is very useful feedback for the second and third years - try to blog on the Winol bulletin each week. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent comments - the queen is very dull, but covering it shows we cover the proper agenda as well as just tabloid stuff, so we are taken seriously.

    Also ... she will like all of us one day keel over and die and had that happened while our camera was train on her, well then that would truly be a Hannan Swaffer moment!

    ReplyDelete